Thursday, August 25, 2011

Summer Garden Updates

Does it seem like summer has hardly began, but it's already almost over? Sheesh. That was fast.

Here are some photos of our summer garden. Our tomatoes have been a huge success (just starting to ripen now - love fresh, ripe tomatoes!), same for our lettuce and squash. We also grew pickling cucumbers, which haven't had much success yet.



For herbs, we've had basil, rosemary, dill, lavender, cat nip and cilantro. Next year, I'm going to skip the dill and maybe even the basil. I love basil, I just don't seem to have much luck growing it. However, the cilantro and cat nip were a success - Sophie loves fresh nip!!

Our artichoke plant and brussel sprouts plants are still growing - but they are so pretty!




My biggest lesson is to grow what we eat most often. There were a couple things I thought would be fun to try, but because we don't eat much of a particular vegetable already, I almost felt like we were a bit wasteful.



I also have learned to really space out plants appropriately and watch EXACTLY which spots of my garden bed get the most light for future planting and planning.

I am starting to think about whether I need to do a cover crop for the winter, does anyone have suggestions for what works best?

No comments:

Post a Comment