I found two garden chairs for $15 each, and they happened to have the wrought iron look I was going for on our patio. I thought they had good bones, and this would be a fun and relatively easy project. I originally thought I would just recover them, but after I brought them home I realized the cushions were in pretty bad shape (moldy - gross).
I used up my black Rustoleum spray paint to give the chairs a fresh coat of paint. Then, I purchased some plywood at Home Depot and had them cut it down to size for my new chair cushions. I brought my wood pieces to my parents, and my dad helped me round off the corners (thanks, dad!).
Once I brought the wood back home, I gave the corners a good sanding, and then used some outdoor foam and fabric from Joanne's to recover.
I stapled my fabric around the edges of my board, which is now the bottom of the chair. I screwed the seat into place on the chair.
I love the result! The black wrought iron look is what we're going for on the patio, so it fits in great with a new bench ($40) I purchased at Costco. They had cushions at Costco for the bench, and just so happened to have a mustard yellow color that matches great with the chair cushions.
Overall the patio is coming together! The combination of some new (to us) furniture, pruning of our bushes last fall, and newly planted spring plants is really helping. We're keeping our eyes open for ideas on what we want to do for a table, but for now our wooden crates stood up on end work great as end tables for drinks when we're outside.
Looking forward to more time outside on the patio, enjoying our new furniture! Come on, sunshine!