Friday, October 22, 2010

Hello, Sea Lion!

Yesterday while working in the yard, one of the coolest things happened to me.

I was pruning our lilac bush and it was getting to be dusk outside. I heard some big splashes in the water behaind me, so I turned around, and there was a sea lion swimming toward our house. We see these guys every so often, but it was really pretty this time gliding in and out of the water, so smoothly at this time of day. It was quiet and no one was around. I went up onto our bulkhead to get a better look at him.

Then, I was suprised to see the sea lion stop right in front of me, about 10 feet away in the water. He had his head out of the water with his long whiskers, taking big deep breaths. He was just checking me out - watching me up on the bulkhead. So I talked to him a little bit, just saying hello. He stayed that way, just watching me, for about 30 seconds.

It was one of those moments where I turned around thinking, "Is anyone else seeing this?!" But no, it was just me and him, in this calm quiet time in the evening. It was really amazing. Then he just plopped down back into the water, and swam away. I am certainly looking forward to my next meeting with our new friend!

3 comments: